In only twenty minutes you can Agrigento with its reach Valley of Temples . In ten minutes Naro , small Sicilian baroque town and Palma di Montechiaro the Gattopardo’s city .In just over on hour there is Piazza Armerina with its Roman Villa of Casale and Cefalù .Furthermore in only 20/30 minutes by car , you can reach the nicest beaches of south Sicily as Scala dei Turchi and Torre Salsa nature reserve a paradise for lovers of sea and views .
Canicattì is a nice commercial town ,famous as the city of “ Uva Italia” . It also offers visitors the enjoyment of extraordinary monument as :
-the Badia , monastery of the Benedictine nuns ,built in 1600 where they produced the famous “Paste ricce“ and “Paste nuove” , that until now represent the confectionery tradition of Canicattì ;
- the “Teatro Sociale” , designed by Ernesto Basile the great talent who also designed the Politeama Theatre of Palermo ;
- the Sanctuary of the venerable “Padre Gioacchino” lived at the beginning of the 900 and died where the remains of the friar are preserved ;
- the ex convent and S. Domenico Church ,near the wonderful “Palazzo La Lomia “ where the last “Gattopardo” , the Baron Agostino , lived ;
- the Neptune’s fountain , called “ Petrappaulu”;
- the churches of Purgatorio , Carmine and Spirito Santo;
- the Firriato villa ,designed by Basile.
Finally , for archaeology and old history lovers a few kilometres from the city , there are the excavation of “ Vito Soldano” an old Roman-byzantine city .
IN THE SURROUNDINGS